Pastoral Care and Supporting Survivors
This course addresses the safeguarding issues surrounding pastoral care in the Church and Christian organisations. This training has been developed in recognition that many churches are now finding that traditional pastoral care models which rely heavily upon ministers, church leaders and paid pastoral workers are no longer working. Churches can no longer rely on ministers and clergy to meet all the pastoral needs of their growing worshipping communities and are seeking to re-imagine pastoral care models that develop the roles of all members.
This is a half-day interactive programme delivered over a morning or an afternoon. Our professional and experienced trainer will use a range of methods to engage delegates from presentation slides to audiovisual clips and small group exercises. The session is quite varied and is delivered at a steady pace for those who are already familiar with some safeguarding terminology.
Why we need a good practice framework
- The Legislative Framework
- The Changing Landscape of Pastoral Care in Churches
- The distinctiveness of Christian Pastoral Care
- Who are the Pastoral Carers?
- The Challenges of devolving Pastoral Care
- Safeguarding Implications
Pastoral Relationships and Safer Boundaries
- Characteristics of Healthy Boundaries in Pastoral Relationships
- Abuse of Trust
- Creating Dependency
- When Care becomes Coercive
Pastoral Support for those who have been Abused
- The impact of abuse on victims
- The silence that can still exist around abuse
- How to make the church a safe place to disclose abuse of any kind
- How to support survivors of abuse pastorally
- Signposting to other agencies
Pastoral ministries and safeguarding implications
- The range of ministries that have a pastoral care element
- Prayer Ministry
- Selecting and equipping workers
- Good Practice Guidelines
- Codes of Conduct
- Keeping Records
We don't currently have any face-to-face sessions scheduled for this training course, although we are regularly booking dates so do check back again soon. Alternatively please check with our office on 0303 003 1111 (option 3) for the latest available dates.
Not yet a member?
Get help, resources and advice that are right for your organisation from people who care and understand, plus get discounts on selected products and services along with all the benefits of being part of a supportive community of thousands of organisations nationwide.Find out more