What is a Listening Service?
A listening service is a telephone service which offers the chance for adults with lived experience of abuse to talk about their experiences in detail and in confidence with a sensitive listener.
It is not counselling, although help to access counselling and other support can be given if needed. All listeners are professionally trained, with backgrounds in social work, education or the police. All are experienced in safeguarding and supporting those impacted by abuse.
What do Listeners do?
- Tell your story and talk through your experiences and feelings.
- Think about what actions or next steps you want to take and support you in doing so.
- Help explore if counselling may be appropriate for you.
- Provide information about additional support that is available and what is likely to happen next.
Listeners are carefully matched to each caller to ensure your experience is the best it can be, however it is possible to change your listener based on your own preferences.
How many session will I have?
You’ll begin with four sessions, lasting approximately one hour. You will then have the chance to discuss your options and consider what further steps you would like to take if any.
Will what I share be kept confidential?
What is shared remains confidential between you and the listener unless:
- The listener is concerned that you or others may be in danger.
- There is information shared that raises safeguarding concerns for others.
The calls are not recorded. A simple summary of the conversation will be documented and shared with you after each session, along with the date and time of each call.
Can I meet my listener?
This is a telephone service, however there may be occasions when a face to face meeting could be appropriate. This would be arranged by your safeguarding team.
Accessing the listening service
To access the listening service please contact your safeguarding team. The listening service is operated by Thirtyone:eight.
To find out how we can help, submit an enquiry using the form below or speak to one of our team.Call now
For more information on how we store and process your personal information see our Privacy notice.
Page last updated: 01 February 2022