The aim of this course is to explore how to put into practice a range of processes and procedures to help make your organisation safer for the people you serve.
Who is it for?
This course has been developed for those who have the responsibility for implementing safer recruitment processes in their organisations, whether local authorities, children's charities, community groups, churches or other organisations providing a service to children, young people and adults. The course will build upon existing safeguarding knowledge so previous foundation level training is required in order to participate.
This interactive programme is delivered over a full day from 10am - 4pm with a 45 minute break for lunch. Our professional and experienced trainer will use a range of methods to engage delegates from presentation slides to audio visual clips and small group exercises. The session is varied and delivered at a steady pace for those who are familiar with safeguarding terminology.
This course has four modules.
Understanding the Safeguarding task
- What is abuse and who are the perpetrators?
- Developments in safeguarding and emerging themes
- Developing a balanced approach to safeguarding
- Understanding your unique role and responsibilities
- Statutory definitions of abuse
- Features of a safer recruitment processes.
- Sending the right messages to potential applicants.
- The application form
- References and referees
- Selection criteria and short-listing
Making The Right Decision
- Selecting the right candidate and the possible costs of appointing someone who is unsuitable
- Selection tools
- Using structured interviews and interview questions
- Taking account of criminal record information
- Pre-employment checks
Developing Safer Cultures
- The need for ongoing awareness and vigilance
- Key features of a safer culture
- Managing allegations
- Next steps and developing your own action plan
We don't currently have any face-to-face sessions scheduled for this training course, although we are regularly booking dates so do check back again soon. Alternatively please check with our office on 0303 003 1111 (option 3) for the latest available dates.
Not yet a member?
Get help, resources and advice that are right for your organisation from people who care and understand, plus get discounts on selected products and services along with all the benefits of being part of a supportive community of thousands of organisations nationwide.Find out more