To assist churches, places of worship, and organisations to develop a broad and sound understanding of the safeguarding task. This course is designed to equip attendees with the necessary tools to create robust safeguarding arrangements.
Who is it for?
This course will benefit all who work or volunteer directly with children, young people or adults such as; crèche workers, children and youth workers, counsellors, pastoral workers, street pastors, debt advisors, etc. As a foundation level course it is designed to be accessed by anyone at any level of the safeguarding learning journey.
This course should be viewed as the first step before moving on to any of our advanced and specialist modules.
This is a full day interactive programme delivered from 10am-4pm with a 45 minute break for lunch. Our professional and experienced trainer will use a range of methods to engage delegates from presentation slides to audio visual clips and small group exercises. The session is varied and delivered at a reasonable pace for those who are particularly new to safeguarding.
This course has four modules.
Understanding the Safeguarding task
- What is abuse and who are the perpetrators?
- Developments in safeguarding and emerging themes
- Developing a balanced approach to safeguarding
- Understanding your unique role and responsibilities
- Statutory definitions of abuse
Signs, Indicators and Effects of Abuse
- Who is an adult at risk of harm?
- Understanding the Care Act 2014
- Signs and indicators of abuse in children and adults
- Grooming and the power of secrets
- Exploring additional factors (race and culture, long-term effects, forgiveness)
- Understanding your church/organisation and their responsibilities
- The role of the Safeguarding Co-ordinator
- Responding to concerns or suspicions of abuse
- Responding to a disclosure of abuse
- Understanding the role and responsibilities of the statutory authorities
- Adopting effective policies and procedures
- Establishing codes of conduct
- Managing those who may pose a risk
- Principles of safer recruitment
- Training and supporting workers
Not yet a member?
Get help, resources and advice that are right for your organisation from people who care and understand, plus get discounts on selected products and services along with all the benefits of being part of a supportive community of thousands of organisations nationwide.Find out more